Shawn Loo, KlipAL, KlipAL director, KlipAL phone accessories, Nottingham alumni, Nottingham businesses

September 21, 2016, by The Ingenuity Lab

Kickstarting KlipAL

In The Ingenuity Lab, no day is the same and every member has a different story and requirements.  As a group, we support each other, collaborate and ensure we have as much fun along the day; creating a melting pot of ideas!  Each week, we will introduce one of our exemplary members and their business to you!

With everyone talking about the new iPhone 7, conversations inevitably lead to the different smartphone accessories available. We have just caught up with University of Nottingham Alumnus Shawn Loo, who has got us all hooked on his fantastic new product!

Age: 34

Nationality: Malaysian

Company name:

KlipAL

KlipAL

www.KlipAL.co.uk

What did you study at The University of Nottingham?

KlipAL, KlipAL phone holders, KlipAL phone accessorys, aluminum phone accessories, gold phone accessory, silver phone accessory

The KlipAL products come in a variety of beautiful colours

Civil Engineering (2003).

What made you want to be an entrepreneur?

The idea came about when I failed to find the smartphone gadget that I desperately needed.

While working on a few sketches to find a DIY solution,  my design concept developed radically towards a highly versatile gadget.

I am quite proud of my design and was eager to share it with everyone. It was then that I thought it is an excellent opportunity to do something for myself and hopefully leave a legacy someday.

What is your business concept?

We are an online retailer selling niche premium smartphone gadgets.

KlipAL is compatible with all phones. The design ethos behind the product is centered around quality, universal design and versatility.

The name KlipAL has quite a nice story behind it: the ‘Klip’ is simply because the product clips onto your smartphone; the ‘Pal’ aspect is because KlipAL is the ultimate smartphone companion; and ‘AL’ due to the product being made of high quality aluminium.

I have designed KlipAL to help make people’s day to day lives easier – you can use the product for docking, browsing, photography, hands free while driving, entertainment, communication, gaming and on tablets.

The different things you can do with KlipAL

What stage are you currently at in setting up your company/business?

The product design is now ready and I am in the process of setting the stage for my product to get better visibility.

A Nottingham-based web designer has taken a risk and invested in the project, allowing me to develop the visuals behind KlipAL.

I have 28 days to go to on my Kickstarter campaign – so am focusing on promoting that and ensuring I hit my target and secure the funding!

KlipAL, KlipAL selfie, ingenuity lab, ingenuity lab members, hungry panda, iran sheen, thorne goalkeeping, ace dee consultancy

Shawn showing off the various uses of KlipAL with his fellow Ingenuity Lab members. Of course one of the most important one is the ease of taking group selfies!

What challenges have you faced during the process?

During the earlier days, the main challenges were related to the product design, for example tweaking the design to suit manufacturing constraints and cost without compromising the design philosophy.

Currently, the biggest challenge is to identify the most cost-effective marketing strategy.

How has being an Ingenuity Lab member helped  you?

At times, being an entrepreneur feels extremely lonely. However, being an Ingenuity Lab member, I have access to like-minded people who are always very approachable and happy to advise and share experiences.

What are your goals for this year?

The goal for this year is to achieve the funding goal on Kickstarter so that I have the financial ability to commence the production pilot run for my product.

We are massive fans of Shawn’s ingenious design and would like you all to get behind him and support his Kickstarter campaign. With 28 days to go, now is the time that you can make a difference.

Keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow’s feature on KlipAL in the Nottingham Post!

Please do ensure you subscribe to this blog to keep updated about our events and activities!  You can also follow us on Facebook, TwitterLinkedIn and Instagram.

Posted in MembersNew BusinessPromotionShowcaseThe Ingenuity Lab