May 18, 2016, by Genelva Meikle
Happy National Vegetarian Week: Day 3
Happy Vegetarian Week to you all! Courtesy of Ingenuity Lab member and Director of Nutri2Go, Jordana Chin, we will be sharing a recipe a day with you for the whole week!
We are a day out so look out for two recipe to try today! Roll those sleeves up and get cooking! Share your creations with us today!
Recipe Number 3: Lentil, mushroom & carrot stew (Vegetarian, vegan)
- 1 cup/100g dry green or brown lentils
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large (~100g) carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme*
- *or 1.5 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (choose low-sodium veg stock if using stock cubes)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper (Season to taste)
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan. Add the lentils and reduce the heat, letting it simmer uncovered for ~30 mins, until it softens. Set aside when done.
- In a separate large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic and seasonings, stir frequently, and let it cook for around 5-7 mins. Add tomato paste, stir and let cook for about a minute. Add cornstarch, stir to coat and cook for another minute. Add red wine (optional) for 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bay leaves and lower heat to simmer
- Add lentils and let simmer for at least 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Served with brown rice, couscous, or wholemeal pitta bread.
Thank you, Jordana for sharing this with us – can’t wait for supper!