March 18, 2016, by The Ingenuity Lab

Ingenuity16 Mentor Profile: Adam Vowles

During Ingenuity16, a range of successful business professionals have got involved in mentoring the University of Nottingham’s budding entrepreneurs. Their guidance and advice has been incredibly useful for the students and alumni competing for the £100,000 prize fund.

Over the next few weeks, we will be uploading profiles of some of Ingenuity16’s mentors and coaches so you can find out a bit more about them and their top tips for success.

We caught up with Adam Vowles, who delivered the ‘Art of SEO’ masterclass on Thursday…

Company name: SUSO Digital

suso digital logo, suso, digital marketing logo

Role: Head of SEO

Website:

www.susodigital.com

www.adamvowles.co.uk

What is your educational background?

I studied Business at the University of Manchester.

How did you originally get involved with the Ingenuity Lab?

As an individual and as a company we are keen to give back and help others. We have been involved in business development programmes in the past, including UCL and Barclay’s start-up accelerator – Techstars.

The technical knowledge and theory of SEO is very rarely taught in a classroom and there is a lot of wrong information out there.

What piece of advice would you give to anyone interested in setting up their own business?

I know I am biased, but don’t neglect the marketing! No matter how amazing your product is, unless people know it exists it will be incredibly difficult to sell. All of the entrepreneurs I have worked with have a common trait. They themselves are brilliant, their products are fantastic, but they have given no thought about how they are going to market their product. Don’t fall in the trap of focusing all your energy on the product itself – build how you are going to market the product into every stage of business development.

What work are you currently involved in?

In my full time position, I work with organisations of all size, problems and opportunities. I am also building up a few of my own personal projects that will be launched later this year.

If you started your business today, what would you do differently?

I would focus on slower, more attainable growth. Growth is a difficult thing to predict. Too little and you will struggle, and too much you cannot cope with the workload.

If you would like to find out more about Adam Vowles, visit his website.

Please do ensure you subscribe to this blog to keep updated about our events and activities!  You can also follow us on Facebook, TwitterLinkedIn and Instagram.

Posted in Ingenuity16MentorsNew BusinessPromotionSeminarsSeminiarsShowcaseThe Ingenuity Lab