January 21, 2013, by Anne Smart
Blue Monday schmonday
According to the media, today is the most depressing day of the year – the third Monday in January, a.k.a Blue Monday. And this year it happens to fall slap bang in the middle of exams.
January is a tough month. It’s ages until Christmas, the days are dark and cold, and supermarkets are selling Easter eggs when you’re still writing 2012 instead of 2013. The excitement of New Year comes crashing down and the reality of your day to day routine now includes revision and exams, as well as hiking through the recent snowpocalypse.
Yey for January!
There are things you can do to help yourself out of the funk you may find yourself in, and the University has plenty of support available if you need some extra help. Here are a few things that work for me:
- Complain/moan/freak out if you need to, it’s good to purge those negative feelings.
- Do something active that’s in no way grown up, Gangnam Style works for this, other options are available.
- Look at anything good that’s in your diary for the rest of the year, like holidays and birthday parties.
- Treat yourself to something decadent but budget-friendly.
- Find the funny in your day and laugh as loud as you can. Bonus points if you can get other people to laugh with you.
If you only manage one of these today, then allow me to make it the last one. I have a playlist on YouTube for anything that makes me laugh and this is one of my favourites. It might also appeal to those of you who are still revising for exams – can you remember all the rules to Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock?