October 30, 2015, by Michael Jennings

Widening Participation during Black History Month

Dr Judy Muthuri, Associate Professor at Nottingham University Business School and coordinator of the Africa Diaspora Academic Network (ADAN–UK), discusses the third annual Widening Participation initiative taking place during Black History Month.

As part of Black History Month celebrations, on Wednesday 28 October Nottingham University Business School (NUBS) hosted 40 young people from Years 3-12 on a University tour where, among other things, the young people got a guided tour of our award-winning Jubilee Campus. Dean of the Business School Professor Alistair Bruce welcomed them to the campus, and re-iterated the university’s commitment to engaging and supporting young people to achieve excellence.

A number of interesting and interactive activities were planned. Year 3-6 got to be creative and worked in groups of five to design a product (new brand of sweet) and develop a simple marketing strategy which they presented to the other groups. They also competed on the Marshmallow Challenge involving building a freestanding structure.

Years 7-12 attended a careers session with academics drawn from NUBS (Prof Ken Kamoche), School of Nursing (Ms Stacy Johnson) and MRI Centre (Dr Katherine Murray). Jackie Andrews (Skills and Development Coordinator at NUBS) gave an inspiring session on what the University can do for their future career while Michelle, a third year student at NUBS shared her experiences as an international student.

The young people had this to say about the day:

“This is a unique experience as we don’t normally visit universities. It was not nice, it was fantastic” – Joy Maina, Year 3

“I want to be an architect, and the activity of building a tower was great because I love art and design” – Pharrell Folurunso, Year 5

“I have found the event so educational. It has been an eye opener really as it has helped me a lot to rethink my career options…” – Ropafadzo Madziva, Year 12

“It has been a wonderful opportunity. The event has helped me to re-consider my subject options for my GCSEs and what exactly to focus on and prioritise at A level if I really want to pursue a career in medicine. I feel that my career goals are now clearer, and my aim is to get good grades that will allow me to come to The University of Nottingham” – Tapiwa Rupere, Year 10

Take a look at our gallery below for photos from the day.

Posted in events