April 30, 2009, by Peter Kirwan

Coming up

I’ve had a couple of quiet theatregoing weeks, but it all kicks off again tonight. First, to Warwick Arts Centre for WUDS’ new production of ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore. I’ve read the play, but never seen any Ford live, so very much looking forward to this.

Tomorrow it’s a double bill – an academic student project first, with The Tempest set on an oil-rig, and then the RSC’s new Winter’s Tale in the evening.

Coming up in the next few weeks: Cheek by Jowl’s Andromaque at WAC, the Globe’s Romeo, the RSC As You Like It, a student Dream, and then a particularly busy single week into which I’m squeezing the Globe’s As You Like It, the National’s All’s Well, the RSC’s Caesar and the Old Vic’s Winter’s Tale. Finally, I’ll be wrapping up the academic year with the broadcast version of the National’s Phedre, with the RSC Errors and Donmar Hamlet to look forward to before my summer hols.

There’s still more to book, too. In particular, I don’t know where or when I’m going to catch the Globe’s two touring productions, though I hope to see both. There’s the Globe’s Troilus to book for (something tells me there’ll be no urgency on advance bookings for that one), and I haven’t decided yet if I’ll return to Love’s Labour’s. The Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre is only doing one ‘adult’ Shakespeare this year, Much Ado, with a kiddy Tempest also in rep. There are a few small-scale things as well, but hopefully that’ll be mostly it for the summer, which will allow me to catch up on all the journal reviews I’ve agreed to write. Oh, and write my thesis.

Posted in News