July 31, 2017, by Guest Blogger

Keep a positive attitude – Sue’s Clearing story

My name is Sue and I am studying Psychology. I was accepted into the University of Nottingham through Clearing.

I remember the day I received my results: I had been nervously checking email all day, and was fully expecting an offer from my firm choice university. The minute I received an email from UCAS notifying me of a status change, I scrambled to check it and my heart dropped – I had been rejected from both my firm and insurance choice universities.

At the time I thought it was it was such a disaster that I had been rejected from the university I was so keen on attending, particularly because I had thought I was guaranteed a place. I spoke to my teachers and they encouraged me to start researching universities on the UCAS website that were still offering courses through Clearing. Upon applying to the University of Nottingham, I was accepted, and I am now very proud to be a part of this community.

Not being accepted into your first choice university does not mean that it is the end of the world. It may seem upsetting at first, especially for an international student, as I was, worrying about being alone and getting lost in a new environment; but to my relief, I soon found that a lot support is offered and everyone is there to help.

If I were to give a word of advice, it would be that – disappointing as it may be at first – you should try to keep a positive attitude and an open mindset, as it will make the process much easier. Whichever path you take, you will make new friends and have lots of fun. Like me, you may even be glad that you were accepted into that university rather than your firm choice in the end!

Find out about our courses available through international Clearing and Adjustment in 2017.

You can also meet us in Hong Kong at Clearing fairs in August.

Posted in Before applyingOffer holders