December 11, 2016, by Lindsay Brooke

11 December 2016 – what’s the story behind door number eleven?

Green chemist recognised for influential research.

Last year Professor Sir Martyn Poliakoff received his knighthood from His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales. This year he was named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). This year 391 members were awarded this honour by AAAS because of their scientifically or socially distinguished efforts to advance science or its applications.

This latest recognition was for Professor Sir Martyn’s influential research in inorganic, physical and green chemistry, for promoting science diplomacy and for outstanding communication of science to the general public.

Sir Martyn said: “I am delighted by this award.  I see it as an honour not only for myself but for the School of Chemistry and our University.  I hope that it will help raise our international profile even higher.”

Who opened the door?

Thank you to Claire Smith, a Senior Security Officer at The University of Nottingham, for opening door number 11 on the digital advent calendar and revealing yet another entry in our review of 2016.

You can find out more about the digital advent calendar here.

Posted in Christmas contextScience