August 21, 2012, by Hayley

Reflections on my time in Nottingham….

Since 2009 students travelling as part of a U21 or intercampus mobility scheme have been able to take part in our Study Abroad module as part of the Advantage Award. This year the International Office wanted to make sure incoming students also had the opportunity to gain credits for their participation in lectures, seminars and extracurricular activity whilst here in Nottingham.

Here’s what Kenny had to say about his time here in the UK….

All in all, I must say that the whole exchange was a really wonderful and great learning experience for me. The most important part of the whole exchange I feel was that I have made lots of wonderful friends.

Initially, it felt like starting life all over again, with all sorts of worries. But the whole transition phase was smooth and made more enjoyable as I got to know new friends. These friends helped me in lots of ways that included the simple yet important things like recommending a good barber for a haircut. (I wouldn’t want to look weird with a bad haircut for the whole exchange!) These friends also helped to enrich the days I spent here as we would go out for meals, catch a movie, play all kinds of sports (basketball, frisbee, football, pool, jog, table tennis…) …  I am really glad to have made all these friends who have made my exchange really enjoyable and fun. Also, in a way, all sorts of goals that I set were accomplished with their help.

Through this Advantage Award module, I did a lot of things that I wanted to do, which formed part of the module requirements as well.  They were mostly non-academic things like joining various sports activities and clubs which I did not participate in back home.

Even the lectures turned out to be really interesting and thought-provoking. Issues that I did not even think about were raised, which was made all the more interesting because those were what I truly experienced and really relevant to me.

In hindsight, I was really glad that I took up this module which also provided the additional “force” I needed to motivate myself and push me to accomplish all of my goals.

If you are a student coming to the UK this year you can find out more here

Posted in Case StudiesFeatured ModulesNews