May 15, 2012, by bbasb

Lucy Stone wins the Global Graduate Prize supported by the Vice-Chancellor

Final Year English student, Lucy Stone, has successfully completed the Nottingham Advantage Award and is the winner of the Global Graduate Prize supported by the Vice-Chancellor. The panel of judges were looking for evidence that they demonstrated a range of ‘Global Graduate Attributes’ not only reflected in their education at Nottingham, but also that they are prepared effectively for the globalised world of work and for continuous personal and professional development.

The prize from the Vice-Chancellor was a BlackBerry PlayBook and £100 towards learning a language. At the event Lucy was presented her prize and certificate by Dr Paul Greatrix, Registrar of the University of Nottingham.

As part of the award Lucy undertook the following modules: International Office Study Abroad, International Office Peer Advisors and Literacy Volunteers

What Lucy had to say about winning the prize:

“I chose to get involved with the award because a volunteering placement that I did in my first year could be accredited through the award and although I didn’t actually start the award back then it was the first time I heard about it. So when I went to America I thought it was definitely time to get involved, as it has been a really great experience. It has helped me to reflect the skills I have been developing and guided me on how make myself more attractive to employers in general.

I applied for this prize because I have done a lot of work with the International Office and gained international experience in general. This all stemmed from when I went abroad in my second semester of my second year. I felt that this was a great opportunity to showcase the skills that I’ve gained and been able to utilise within my modules.

The Peer Advisor module that I have completed offered by the International Office has directly related to working with international students, whereas the module, Developing Cultural Awareness, allowed me to reflect on my experiences while in another country, on exchange. So I feel I can understand it from both sides of the coin, so to speak.

I feel very honoured and very happy to have won this prize. I’m pleased that the skills I have developed through award activity have been formally recognised.

I feel the prize is going to help me make a successful transition into the workplace. Specifically, the money towards learning a new language will be great as I am planning to go to China to teach out there and I am going to use it to learn Mandarin.”

Posted in Special Achievement Awards