June 25, 2014, by Jacqui Storey

Knowing Me Knowing You Part II

This is the second of our get to know you series which this time features…

Name: Jacqui Storey

How long have you worked here ?
I started at the University in the summer of 2001 as a Marketing and Communications Officer for what is now called Business Engagement and Innovation Services. After a year in that role the University received funding to set up the Active Communities Team, which is what Community Partnerships was originally called. I was lucky enough to be recruited on to the team as a volunteer co-ordinator and have been with the team hBN4UmHXever since. My job title changed to Skills Sharing and Knowledge Exchange Manager somewhere along the way but I tend to refer to myself as a Project Manager for ease of understanding and ease of completing those on-line insurance quote forms.

What do you do?
I run a number of projects that utilise the skills of staff and students to support local voluntary and community sector organisations. These range from individuals volunteering on the Undergraduate Community Internship Programme to groups of students working together on the Communicating Nutrition project. It’s my job to talk to organisations to establish what would help them and to find volunteers who can provide the skills needed.

Best thing about your job?
To quote the chap from the A Team, “I love it when a plan comes together” and the best bit about my job is when the efforts of everyone involved come together to produce a really great outcome. An example of this is the IT Community Consultants Project which involves Computer Science students acting as IT consultants for local organisations. The students are supported by staff volunteers who have expertise in the area and by staff from Community Partnerships and Careers who combine to ensure the work is of a very high standard. Nottingham Elders Forum took part in this year’s project and Glenise Martin from the Forum wrote to thank the University. She said, “The team were absolutely superb and so professional we couldn’t have had a better one if we’d paid a huge sum for their services” and receiving letters like that is one of the best things about my job.

What did you do before working here?
I have a rather unique job history in that I have only ever worked for organisations that have the name of a place in their title – University of Nottingham, Nottingham Community Housing Association and the London Borough of Enfield. I started out life as a Housing Officer then helped procure properties for a housing association. I then took a sideways move into communications which brought me to the University then into volunteer and project management. I have been a volunteer most of my adult life so have a strong belief in the contribution volunteers make to society. I have been a befriender of an adult with learning disabilities for 10 years and spent 7 years volunteering in a coffee bar in a psychiatric hospital which I enjoyed very much.

Most unusual/strangest job?
I taught archery on a summer camp in America one year when I had never actually picked up an arrow prior to arriving at the camp. Luckily for me I wasn’t a bad shot and no-one seemed to notice. Of course, coming from the home of Robin Hood, it must be in my DNA.

How do you relax?
I love walking and find a spot of tree hugging relaxes me no end; roots you to the earth quite like nothing else. Try it some time.

Tell us a Joke ?
What’s the fastest cake in the world? Scone. Get it? It’s all in the pronunciation. Never mind.

Posted in CommunitySkills SharingTeam ProfilesUncategorized